[ft] Question regarding handling of fonts with FontConfig/FreeType on Li

From: Martin Maurer
Subject: [ft] Question regarding handling of fonts with FontConfig/FreeType on Linux on Embedded System
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:33:27 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to use fonts (in my case one or more of the Google Noto Fonts) in latest Qt on Embedded Linux which is using FontConfig and FreeType in the background.
I can display chinese characters (with one of the simplified chinese fonts), but it does not contain e.g. certain polish characters.
It displays just a box with a cross inside. Other font contain the polish character, but not the chinese characters.
On Windows, when loading one font and not finding a requested character, it just falls back to another font (I can see it is displayed a bit different,
because displayed in bold and different font without any action on my side).
Is there an automatic way with FontConfig/FreeType to get characters, which are not available in one font, to get loaded from a different font?
Or can we perhaps merge two (Google noto) font together into one font? Is there some suggested tool for doing this?
Already tried FontForge, but seems to be difficult to get a merged working font out if it.
Because I am using Embedded Linux, also space is limited (ram/flash) and the bigger the font, the longer the loading time is.
So I would prefer small(er) fonts if possible.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Martin