[ft] Is there a way to generate character font on-the-fly according to t

From: dennis dang
Subject: [ft] Is there a way to generate character font on-the-fly according to the encode?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 23:05:22 +0800

Hi all,

Is there a way to generate character font on-the-fly according to the encode?

Say I have some new special CJK characters, which don't exist in all current font files, no unicode assigned. Actually the character set is rather large, but each character could be composed from a few simple glyphs. I have some algorithms to generate the transformmation parameters for each composite character.

I'd like to assign unicode(in private use area) to each of the special characters, and make the new character easy to type in and to edit, while avoiding providing a whole font file with the large new character set plus all other general (existing ASCII and CJK) characters?  So is it possible to provide a custom font driver, for example by making a wrapper to freetype(or built-in font driver on Windows/Linux) to return the composite glyphs if the input encode falls in my special character encode set, while not affecting the processing of other encodes(font files)?

In a word, I need to display character font from encode but without providing a font file...

I'm totally a newbie to font technologies, and even have no idea how font driver/engine works in a system architecture view. I tried to read some doc about freetype, and learned that there are
FT_Get_Char_Index(...) and
FT_Load_Glyph(...).
Maybe I need to define an FT_Load_Glyph_From_Charcode(...), and need this API be used instead of the formmer two in case of my speical encode shows up.

Any information is appeciated.

Thanks in avance,
dennis