[ft] Differences between FT 2.3.9 & 2.4.4 that may cause poor rendering

From: John C. Turnbull
Subject: [ft] Differences between FT 2.3.9 & 2.4.4 that may cause poor rendering quality
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 15:41:52 +1100

I use an OpenGL library called Visualization Library which utilises FreeType in providing the font rendering information in its text renderer.  In upgrading to their latest version I noticed a significant degradation in the quality of the rendered text and the only difference in this area with respect to VL was that they started using FreeType 2.4.4 instead of 2.3.9 that they had used previously.

Does anyone know if any special compiler flags or options need to be set when compiling FT 2.4.4 or some other reason why text rendering quality would be worse under the latest version?  It looks as though some degree of antialiasing has been lost perhaps.

I have attached 2 screenshots which display this problem (and I am hoping your mailing list will accept them).   The Before shot uses FT 2.3.9 and the After shot uses FT 2.4.4.

Thanks,

-JCT