[ft] Carbon-free fonts support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibility

From: dipsy po
Subject: [ft] Carbon-free fonts support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibility
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 02:48:26 +0000

Hi,

To support suitcase fonts in the resource fork (such as /Library/Fonts/Arial),
I need to include ftmac.c in compiling freetype. The ftmac.c currently uses
Carbon to support suitcase fonts.

However  in Leopard, all code that uses fork (I mean the UNIX fork system call,
not the resource fork - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork-exec) but not exec must not call any Carbon
API, otherwise the application will crash with the error "The process has
forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely." This is
documented in Leopard release notes for CoreFoundation. See
http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/CoreFoundation/CoreFoundation.html
under the section "CoreFoundation and fork()".

One common usage of freetype is in Apache/PHP scripts (often through GD), and
Apache does use fork without exec. This causes Apache/PHP to crash when using
freetype, with the above error message in the Apache error log.

If I compile freetype without ftmac.c support, it works normally, but I cannot
use most suitcase fonts.

As I searched for work around, I found a message in this mailing list that
mentions a Carbon-free method to support suitcase fonts. I figure this may
solve the problem completely if it is also CoreFoundation free and can support
resource fork suitcase fonts. Although some other functions, such as getting a
font file from a QuickDraw/ATS font name, will no longer work without Carbon, I
think it is OK, as similar functions are not available on any other OS as well.

In case someone has already written the Carbon-free suitcase font support, I
would appreciate if you may share your code. I am willing to test and debug it.

I hope the freetype developers who are reading this message can consider to
implement this feature quickly, as many people will certain be affected by this
incompatible Leopard change. (I know  this problem is created by Leopard, not
freetype, but we will have to live with it.)

Regards
Dipsy Po