Re: [ft] Carbon-free fonts support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibi

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Carbon-free fonts support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibility
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 06:56:23 +0900

Hi,

Sorry for my previous insufficient post, I scribbled it for
quick notice at airport lounge. Just I've checked Apple
documentation you refered. I understand the issue differs
that I expected when I mentioned "Carbon-free suitcase
support".

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 02:19:33 -0800 (PST)
Dipsy Po <address@hidden> wrote:
>suzuki toshiya wrote:
>> Sorry for your inconvenience. How quickly do you want?
>
>My users keep asking me when can this issue be fixed. I understand this is
>far from trivial and needs time to solve the problem. I am trying an
>intermediate solution by modifying the Apache/PHP to use "CGI" mode instead
>of the default "libphp5.so" that comes wtih Mac OS X. (In "CGI", there is an
>"exec" after the "fork", so the issue does not occur. But CGI is much slower
>then SAPI based "libphp5.so", and when the next Apple Update come, it
>probably will reset the Apache/PHP back to using "libphp5.so".)

The removal of QuickDraw and FSSpec API has been warned for
a long time, Sean McBride and me were working on this issue.
But I (at least) didn't expect that Carbon (I guess, you mean
not only really-legacy Carbon APIs for QuickDraw and FSSpec
but also ATS and FSRef etc etc, right?) itself is classified
as dangerous API under forked process. Oops.

In fact, Masatake Yamato had ever written the initial code to
support .dfont & suitcase font formats by POSIX functions only.
You can find src/base/ftrfork.c and bits in src/base/ftobjs.c.
But, the behaviour is not completely same with that by ftmac.c.
Some APIs in ftmac.c are not covered.

Could you tell me which API in ftmac.c should be kept when
Carbon dependency is removed, for your purpose?

Regards,
mpsuzuki