Re: [Freetype] WINFONTS support

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] WINFONTS support
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 23:13:30 +0400

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 21:05, Thomas Charbonnel wrote:
|  Hi,
|
|  I'm in the process of migrating a Windows NT TCP/IP client server db
|  application to Linux using Wine. One of the problems I encounter is that
|  the client application seems to be very old and relies on a .FON special
|  font to draw custom windows and tables in text mode. To cope with this I'm
|  considering adding .FON support to wine through FreeType (as suggested on
|  the wine-devel mailing list, FreeType supporting the .FON format). I wrote

Hi Thomas!

As you are going to hack WINE anyway, what about such solution for your
problem:
1) load .FON file into PfaEdit (http://pfaedit.sf.net)
2) export it to BDF or TTF with Embedded bitmaps (File->Generate Fonts)
3) hack WINE to support TTF font with embedded bitmaps (or BDF), if such
support is not there yet.

Than you would have much more reliable solution working smoothly on Linux
(*NIX, *BSD).

I just tried such scenario (import FON, export BDF) with 8514oem.fon from my
Windows 98 - it works!
(and that  8514oem.fon is dated by 1987, BTW! )

My ftview (2.1.4) has some problems to diaply .FON files, though.
Both original 8514oem.fon and produced by PfaEdit 'Fixedsys.fon' look like
corrupted (as I said above, BDF displays fine).

I have better success with seriff.fon (MS Serif).
At least one size of TTF file with embedded bitmaps was rendered fine with
ftview.