[Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontco

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontconfig/Xft2
Date: 09 Apr 2003 17:47:06 +0200

>> I believe that this is a fontconfig/Gnome bug, not something that
>> should be fixed at the FreeType level.

MF> Then it is also a Qt/KDE bug. You cannot distinguish these fonts in
MF> the Qt/KDE font selection dialogs either.

MF> TrueType fonts don't have something like "FOUNDRY",

>> Yes, they do, in the OS/2 table.  Keith is planning to modify
>> Fontconfig to properly export this value.

MF> But this alone doesn't help, it remains mostly useless until
MF> all of the GUI font selection dialogs support it.

Hmm.  I think that fontconfig should provide both a foundry, a raw
family name, and a human-visible family name.  The human-visible
family name is what should appear in font dialogs.

The raw family name should always be whatever appears in the font file
-- no magic, ever.  The human-visible family name should be equal to
the concatenation of the foundry and the raw family name, except when
either the foundry name is ``misc'' or ``unknown'', or else when the
raw family name already starts or ends with the foundry name.

(Note: the ``starts or ends with'' algorithm will need to be smart
about variations such as ``Monotype Courier New'' vs. ``Courier New MT''.)

Is that okay with you?  Do you believe it should be implemented at the
fontconfig level or at the FreeType level?

                                        Juliusz