[Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontco

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontconfig/Xft2
Date: 09 Apr 2003 16:04:29 +0200

MF> I believe it would be better if the family name which shows up via the
MF> fontconfig/Xft2 API reflected that and the fonts showed up as

MF>     "Misc Fixed", "Sony Fixed", "Etl Fixed", etc...

I believe this to be a bad idea -- the family names of Type 1 and BDF
versions of Adobe Courier will then differ.

I believe that this is a fontconfig/Gnome bug, not something that
should be fixed at the FreeType level.

MF> TrueType fonts don't have something like "FOUNDRY",

Yes, they do, in the OS/2 table.  Keith is planning to modify
Fontconfig to properly export this value.

MF> My patch avoids this by appending " Wide" to fonts which have an
MF> AVERAGE_WIDTH >= POINT_SIZE in the bdf-properties,

MF> What do you think?

I don't know.  My gut instinct is that AVERAGE_WIDTH should not be
used for anything at all, and also that one shouldn't munge font names
lightly.  I suggest you add a new fontconfig property for wide fonts
instead -- this would be a purely fontconfig-level change.

                                        Juliusz