[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Freetype] FreeType 2.1.4 RC2 Available
[Freetype] FreeType 2.1.4 RC2 Available
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:18:20 +0100
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030210
I just made the second release candidate for FreeType 2.1.4. You can
access it by the following ways:
- download it from SourceForge at:
- download it from the FTP server at:
- download it from cvs.freetype.org with the following tag:
As usual, the list of changes is available in the ChangeLog file, or
in docs/CHANGES, which is joined to this email..
- David Turner
- The FreeType Project (www.freetype.org)
PS: Biggest differences since last release candidate:
- fixed gzip reader bug (infinite loop for when reading tiny files)
- the PFR font driver now reports the list of available embedded bitmaps
correctly. It also returns the "real" font family and style names when
available in an *undocumented* portion of the file (the physical font's
auxiliary data block)
- the cmap cache now supports UCS-4 code points when the fonts contains
- fixed slight native TrueType hinter distortions
LATEST CHANGES BETWEEN 2.1.4 and 2.1.3
I. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES
- updated to newest libtool version, fixes build problems on various
- a fix in the Gzip stream reader, it couldn't read certain .gz files
properly due to a small typo. In certain cases, FreeType could also
loop endlessly when trying to load tiny gzipped files.
- the configure script now tries to use the system-wide zlib when
it finds one (instead of the copy found in src/gzip). And
"freetype-config" has been updated to return relevant flags in this
case when invoked with "--libs" (e.g. "-lzlib")
- certain fonts couldn't be loaded by 2.1.3 because they lacked a
Unicode charmap (e.g. SYMBOL.TTF). FreeType erroneously rejected
- the CFF loader was modified to accept fonts which only
contain a subset of their reference charset. This prevented the
correct use of PDF-embedded fonts.
- the logic to detect Unicode charmaps has been modified. this is required
to support fonts which include both 16-bit and 32-bit charmaps (like
very recent asian ones) using the new 10 and 12 SFNT formats.
- the TrueType loader now limits the depth of composite glyphs. This is
necessary to prevent broken fonts to break the engine by blowing the
stack with recursive glyph definitions.
- the CMap cache is now capable of managing UCS-4 character codes that
are mapped through extended charmaps in recent TrueType/OpenType fonts
- the PFR driver didn't return the list of available embedded bitmaps
II. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- David Chester contributed some enhancements to the auto-hinter that
significantly increase the quality of its output. The Postscript hinter
was also improved in several ways..
- the FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT render mode was implemented
- a new API, called FT_Get_BDF_Property has been added to FT_BDF_H to
retrieve BDF properties from BDF _and_ PCF font files. THIS IS STILL
EXPERIMENTAL, since it hasn't been properly tested yet.
- a Windows FNT specific API has been added, mostly to access font
headers. This is used by Wine
- TrueType tables without a "hmtx" table are now tolerated when an
incremental interface is used. This happens for certain Type42 fonts
passed from Ghostscript to FreeType.
- the PFR font driver is now capable of returning the font family and
style names when they're available (instead of the sole "FontID"). This
is performed by parsing an *undocumented* portion of the font file !!
- the path stroker in FT_STROKER_H has entered beta stage. It now works
very well, but it's interface might change a bit in the future. More
on this in later releases
- the documentation for FT_Size_Metrics didn't appear properly in the
- the file docs/VERSION.DLL has been updated to explain versioning
with FreeType (i.e. comparing release/libtool/so numbers, and how
to use them in Autoconf scripts)
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [Freetype] FreeType 2.1.4 RC2 Available,
David Turner <=