[Freetype] Re: To Hint or Not To Hint

From: Jon Harrop
Subject: [Freetype] Re: To Hint or Not To Hint
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:38:17 +0000

>As you can see when hinting is on fonts look real bad. Anyone got any
>idea what may be the problem?

I am not a fan of hinting myself but I must say that the hinted version of
your text actually looks better to me. I would class your example as
intermediate size because the resolution is small enough that pixel
boundaries are visible but large enough that each glyph fills more than 5
pixels (which is really the minimum size for a readable font, IMHO).

The example you give is much better than other examples that I have seen,
particularly on my own computer (KDE v 2.2.2 with FreeType 2 v 2.1.2) where
hinting runs glyphs together, alters the final size of text and can
considerably change the optical weighting of a font.

Just out of curiosity - do you guys think that automatic hinting could work
on general vector graphics?

Cheers,
Jon.