Re: [Freetype] Re: To Hint or Not To Hint

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: To Hint or Not To Hint
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:49:22 +0300

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 14:38, Jon Harrop wrote:
|  >As you can see when hinting is on fonts look real bad. Anyone got any
|  >idea what may be the problem?
|
|  I am not a fan of hinting myself but I must say that the hinted version of
|  your text actually looks better to me. I would class your example as
|  intermediate size because the resolution is small enough that pixel
|  boundaries are visible but large enough that each glyph fills more than 5
|  pixels (which is really the minimum size for a readable font, IMHO).

As it has been said several times, there is a HUGE difference in TrueType
hinting/hints and PostScript Type1 hinting/hints.
Example we are dicussing uses Windows/TrueType fonts, if you want better
results - get good Type1 fonts and try the same page/text again.

|  The example you give is much better than other examples that I have seen,
|  particularly on my own computer (KDE v 2.2.2 with FreeType 2 v 2.1.2)
| where hinting runs glyphs together, alters the final size of text and can
| considerably change the optical weighting of a font.

Do you want KDE 3.1, XFree86 4.2.99, FreeType 2.1.3 screenshot?  :-)

|  Just out of curiosity - do you guys think that automatic hinting could
| work on general vector graphics?

IMO, it can, but doesn't worth efforts.