Re: [Freetype] Questions before releasing

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Questions before releasing
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 23:18:57 +0100 (CET)

> > It makes sense, but unfortunately we forgot to update libtool's
> > version number.  From VERSION.DLL in the current snapshot:
> >
> >   Libtool's version for FreeType 2.1.3 is `9.2.3'.
> >
> >   On most platforms, the soname will be `6.3.2'
> >   (e.g. `libfreetype.so.6.3.2').
> >
> >   Libtool's version for FreeType 2.1.2 is `9.1.3'.
> >
> >   On most platforms, the soname will be `6.3.1'
> >   (e.g. `libfreetype.so.6.3.1').
>
> That's... rather confusing.  What do I do to check if a freetype >=
> 2.0.9 is installed?

Normally, the FreeType version is rather meaningless (provided that
the libtool version number is updated properly which we missed for
2.1.2).  If you really want a test for 2.0.9, check freetype.h for
`FREETYPE_MAJOR', `FREETYPE_MINOR', and `FREETYPE_PATCH' with grep.

Writing a C program to read out these macros won't work with dynamic
libraries, and FT_Library_Version is buggy up to 2.1.3.