Re: [Freetype] New documents available

From: Rogier van Dalen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] New documents available
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 09:52:34 +0100

David Turner wrote:

Hello Giuliano,

Giuliano Pochini wrote:

(...)
Hmm, I haven't an LCD monitor, so I can't try, but I think you have
to scale the outline and *then* apply hinting to get proper alignment
based on the 3x horizontal resolution.
(...)
According to your technique:

 * you chose a character size of 8*3 = 24
 * the linearly scaled advance width is 0.8*3 = 2.4
 * "strict" hinting will round this to 2 pixels only
 * you render the hinted outline into a gray-scale bitmap,
    the result can be used as an RGB bitmap for LCD text
    display

The problem is that now your rectangle will only cover 2 RGB
sub-pixels (instead of 3). There is no chance that your glyph will
appear "black" (it will be instead RG, GB or BR). Worse, there
are no guarantees that its edges are aligned on integer LCD pixels
(not sub-pixels) positions. I.e. your glyph could require a two-pixel
color bitmap to be displayed. The color fringes will be visible !!

It seems that MS ClearType does this for italic fonts. So, in Verdana Italic, typing "eee" will probably (67%) give you three different e's. You can see this in the right-hand image on <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm>. This seems appropiate since italic fonts don't usually have many vertical stems. Any chance this could be built into Freetype?

Regards,

Rogier