Re: [Freetype] freetype tutorial & gdk/gtk

From: Sven Neumann
Subject: Re: [Freetype] freetype tutorial & gdk/gtk
Date: 29 Aug 2002 15:47:59 +0200

Hi,

Sven Neumann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi

heh, sorry, I was about to reply and hit the wrong button...

> > >Any idea how to change the colours of the bitmap (fg/bg) ? Currently I
> > >get white letters on a black background. I've tried a few Gdk functions
> > >with not much joy.

if you want to render antialiased fonts, you don't have much other
chance than to do the compositing yourself as Michael already
outlined. You could use gdk-pixbuf but as it doesn't support
colorizing it won't help much (and will slow things down unnecessarily).
After all GDK is closely modelled after Xlib and Xlib just doesn't
offer the functionality you need for antialiased font rendering.

If you even need to blend glyphs on the destination drawable, you'll
either have to deal with the native X-server pixel representation or
resort to use gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable_alpha().

Anyway, why don't you just use GTK+-2.0 with PangoXft which does all
this for you?

Salut, Sven