[Freetype] Arabic

From: Nick Bane
Subject: [Freetype] Arabic
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:35:28 +0100

Hi

I am trying to render a number of unicode glyphs that appear (using Windows
based viewers including XP Pro's Character Map) to be present in TryeType
and OpenType fonts (Arial, Tahoma and Cyberbit for example) but are not
found by Freetype 2. The specific examples happen to be in the unicode
Arabic area (I am trying to broaden our market a little ...).

I am using the current Debian stable (v3 == Woody) libfreetype6-dev package.

Examples of glyphs that are found include U0637 (Arabic Letter Tah) and
U0669 (Arabic-Indic Digit 9).
Examples of glyphs that are not found are U0670 (Arabic Letter Superscript
Alef) U0684 (Arabic letter Dyeh) and
U0699 (Arabic Letter Reh With Four Dots Above) yet U0698 (Arabic Letter Jeh)
is ok.

I had assumed that Character Map was creating the unfindable glyphs
on-the-fly from their component parts (adding diacritics) yet U06ba (Arabic
Letter Noon Ghunna) is not found and has no diacritical marks (unless the
absence of a dot is sort of diacritic).

Can anyone suggest how I might develop the glyphs that Character Map can
produce but freetype seems not able to?

With thanks

Nick Bane