Re: [Freetype] Question on MacOS X

From: Sander van der Wal
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Question on MacOS X
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 10:26:51 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leonard Rosenthol" <address@hidden>
To: "Sander van der Wal" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 3:39 AM

> At 11:59 AM 12/1/2001 +0100, Sander van der Wal wrote:
> >If you let FT_New_Face() handle all this Windows UI level stuff,
the
> >library will get bloated beyond comprehension. There is no reason
why
> >you would not want Mac, XWindows, Symbian OS, PalmOS etc UI level
> >stuff in there too. Much to complicated.
>
>          There are no plans, that I am aware of, for adding ANY UI
to FT.

>          We already have platform-centric calls (ftmac.c, ftwin.c,
etc.)
> which include support for reading platform installed fonts.  It is
> transparent to the clients, since it happens inside of "overridden"
> versions of FT_New_Face().

Yes, but these are calls to hide the underlying OS, or to read a
certain file format. That's not what I mean. These calls connect FT2
to the layer below it, the host OS'es file system.

I am under the impression that a variant of FT_New_Face() should be
created that has as it's input user-level things such as font name,
bold-ness, etc to let a user select a font based on these
characteristics, and that this call should be part of the current FT2
library.

I'm arguing that such a call should be placed in a different layer, on
top of the current FT2 library, for the reasons I mentioned.

Sander van der Wal