Re[2]: [Freetype] Support for PFR fonts ?

From: YANN . GARNIER
Subject: Re[2]: [Freetype] Support for PFR fonts ?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:14:02 +0200

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:09:36 +0200
From: David Turner <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Support for PFR fonts ?
Thanks for your answers, here are some more informations.

The reason why I am asking is that pfr has been selected by the 3 main open
standard for set top boxes software covering the world, which are:
- MHP (www.mhp.org) and
- OCAP (www.opencable.com).
- DASE (www.atsc.org)

PFR comes from bitstream but the spec is open, spec can be found at the
following address:

http://www.bitstream.com/categories/developer/truedoc/pfrspec_update.pdf

Yann

Author:  david\.turner at internet/address@hidden
Date:    22/06/01 11:09

Hello Yann,

> I would like to know if PFR fonts (which I think are also called TrueDoc?) are
> supported by freetype2 ?
>
> Or is PFR called differently ? or is it work in progress ?

FT2 doesn't come with a PFR font module, though it shouldn't be
be difficult to add one (the same is true for other formats like
Speedo, PCL, MetaFont, wathever..).

It's simply that our free time is limited, and supporting
TrueType/Type1/CFF covers most of the market today. I also
don't have much appeal to support proprietary font formats
in default distributions of the library.

On the other hand, if you need one, I can write a PFR font
driver on a contract basis..

Regards,

- David