Re: new release?

From: Dominik Röttsches
Subject: Re: new release?
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 18:58:50 +0300

Hi Werner and others,

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 11:37 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

Hello Alexei,

> You used to release a new version around this time of year. What are
> your plans this time around?  Are you waiting for some official
> specs for COLRv1?

Not really for the official specs, but for green light that the COLRv1
stuff is OK to be published as experimental but stable.

Dominik?

The OpenType 1.9  preview is out for review https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/otspec190alpha/ot190alpha - but we recently still added a couple of compact representations for scaling:
https://github.com/googlefonts/colr-gradients-spec/pull/290

These are not implemented on the FreeType side yet. I plan to implement them soon. I need to decide whether it would make sense to consolidate the API and only return transformation matrices instead of the individual structs for rotate, translate, etc. If I keep the structs, I may need to add values for center positions for the newer tables Paint*AroundCenter.

I am not sure what the definition of "experimental" is - but I can't guarantee API stability yet. If that's not required for experimental, I am okay with releasing this as "experimental".

Also, variations support is not in the COLRv1 implementation yet. I plan to familiarize myself with the built-in variations interpolation capabilities that FT has - pointers to welcome. If after learning about that I find it to be doable rather quickly, it might make sense to add that before marking this as supported in a "stable" fashion.

Hope this helps deciding how to word release notes,

Dominik