Re: GSoC

From: Aman Kapoor
Subject: Re: GSoC
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 16:01:55 +0530

Thanks for the clarification.

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021, 15:35 Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

Hello Aman,

> I have read archive on orgs. Mailing list.  I have some doubts, as
> this year's GSoC time is reduced to half, which implies that project
> should be smaller, and what sarthak have stated in his earlier mail
> (four or five points), is quite tough to be completed in such a
> short span of time, that is migrating CI, improving UI and
> comparison sol. apart from that if one will approach towards what
> one of the mentors have suggested i.e image generation it will be
> quite hectic to manage in only 10 weeks and also to adjust in your
> proposal's timeline.

I assume that you are talking about the project

  Develop a test framework for checking FreeType's rendering output

right?  If this is the case, I disagree with your conclusions.  Thanks
to the similar GSoC project last year, there should only be
incremental improvements necessary and not the need to start from
scratch.  As far as I can see, the migration of the CI to the gitlab
instance at freedesktop.org is 100 to 200 lines of code, improving the
UI is basically a few hundred lines of CSS.  This can be done over a
weekend.
- Adding a frontend framework or using bootstrap will definitely take some more time and i can't say about migration ci tool, its totally depends on the student though, thanks for the clarification.

Note also that it is up to the student to write a proposal that fits
his or her capabilities, possibly selecting only a subset of the
project as described on our GSoC page.  It's part of GSoC that
students estimate the necessary time for something – as in real life
projects, if you are going to work for a company, say.

> Or is there any probability that for a single project there can be
> more than one students in GSoC(many orgs do so).  I think this can
> create some good condition to work on, as for rest of the projects
> stated in the list, i haven't seen too many students approaching so
> far.  That will be beneficial for the smooth process.

Basically I don't mind if there are two students who want to split a
suggested project into two subprojects.  Note, however, that GSoC
doesn't allow real collaboration: The students must write separate
proposals that must *not* refer to each other, must code by
themselves, etc., etc.  It is a non-trivial task to cleanly define
such non-interfering subprojects.

If i am not getting it wrong you mean to say that we should make different different proposals mentioning separate jobs but related to the same framework improvement, like we have to divide the tasks in such primary level and will give it to our proposal, that means that this project can be divided and we have to mention only those things in our proposal that is earlier assigned to us to do under this project, half-half.

As i can see GSoC is not about competitive spirit it's about collaborative spirit so it might be possible that we can do it better somehow in a team sense.and i have seen many orgs going the same and it is suggestion by me in my humble opinion, Am i taking your point right?
So that i can make him aware of that...

> P.S- I have not seen his proposal yet but i am assuming he have
> mentioned it all that he have stated in his mails for freetype.
>
> And i will also be sharing my proposal draft very soon.

Thanks!