Re: SDF module ready for integration

From: Anuj Verma
Subject: Re: SDF module ready for integration
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 20:41:26 +0530

Hello Werner, Alexie,

> I've polished your SDF driver; see the 'sdf' branches in both the
> 'freetype2' and 'freetype2-demos' repositories.  Basically, it's ready
> to be merged with 'master' :-)

Thanks for polishing the modules, they look great now. I'm happy that
the driver will finally be merged with 'master' :-)

> Note, however, that there is a problem with the graphics display: On
> Linux, something has changed in the graphics driver of the demos –
> instead of a single image I get four, with stripes (see attached
> image).

The issue is on windows as well. It is a mistake from my end, when I
wrote the demo program I assumed that the surface bitmap is 24 bits
per pixel, but it is 32 bits per pixel now. I have attached a patch below
( sdf_fix.txt ) to fix the problem, if you'd like, I can apply it to the `sdf' branch.

There are a couple more issues on windows:

Firstly, Building the library on windows with gnu make give me the following error:
---
Copying files from `submodules/dlg' to `src/dlg'
A subdirectory or file src\dlg\dlg already exists.
builds/toplevel.mk:127: *** missing separator.  Stop.
---
I tried using two versions of gnu make ( i.e. 3.81 and 4.3 ), and both
give me the exact same error. I don't have much idea about the error, but
it only occurs with the '$(COPY)' command ( 'mkdir' and 'del' works fine ).
Please do check it out. It might as well be the case with my system, so
I will let you know if I figure something out.

Lastly, in the demos program, the symbol 'LCS_sRGB' is not defined, due
to which the build fails on windows. The MSDN page only list one value for
the field 'bV4CSType' and that is 'LCS_CALIBRATED_RGB', so changing the
value on line 267 fixes the error. I have attached a patch for this too. ( fix_build_windows.txt )

> In the long run, ftsdf needs to become more agnostic to the display
> mode. Right now it writes directly to the buffer assuming 24-bit
> (rgb888).

Right! I initially just wrote the program quickly to view the output of the
renderers, I hardcoded a few things which can cause issues in the future.
I will rewrite the entire program once I get some time from my college.

If there is anything else please do let me know.

Thanks and Regards,
Anuj