Re: commit 6a92b1fad makes FreeType reject woff files

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: Re: commit 6a92b1fad makes FreeType reject woff files
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 08:49:42 +0500

Hi Werner,

Your patch

  6a92b1fadde26477a9179cbea988b3e04bd2decc
  [gzip] Add support for `gzip' encoded header (#9812).

makes fonts like

  https://github.com/source-foundry/Hack/blob/master/build/web/fonts/hack-bold-subset.woff
PS: I compiled FreeType with 'make devel; make'.

I just got some time look at this and I think I have figured out
the problem. In a make devel build, the internal copy of zlib
is being used which is very old and thus fails with my patch.

There are 3 ways to solve this problem:
1. In devel/ftoption.h:226 enable the macro #define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SYSTEM_ZLIB
2. Revert my patch altogether. But then gzip encoded glyphs from ot-svg fonts won't work. (Don't know the impact on WOFF2 fonts)
3. Update the internal version of zlib to the newest version.

Moazin