Re: [ft-devel] WOFF2 Support Update

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] WOFF2 Support Update
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 13:28:30 +0530

> This means that you can quickly extract the number of TTC subfonts,
> right?

Yes, this value is also stored in `WOFF2_HeaderRec' as `num_fonts'.

> > One solution is to load all the faces in the WOFF2 and write all
> > tables along with the TTC header.  This may slow down the process if
> > all the faces have a transformed glyf or hmtx table.
>
> It's not clear to me why you have to load all faces.  As far as I can
> see, you need two calls.  The first call is to load the TTC header to
> get the number of subfonts.  This value could be stored somewhere to
> cache it for the `index = -1' case.
>
> Another call (for index < -1 case) then investigates the subfont in
> question to find out the number of named instances.
>
> What am I missing?

Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing right now (locally, not pushed
yet), except for finding the number of named instances in the WOFF2
face. So are you suggesting that `sfwoff2.c' directly output the total
number of faces and named instances (if the index is < 0) and exit
with error so that FT_Open_Face does not try to read and output this
data again?

--
Nikhil