[ft-devel] WOFF2 Support Update

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: [ft-devel] WOFF2 Support Update
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 03:03:50 +0530

Hi all,

An update on the progress of WOFF2 support:

With commit af7d296 (in branch `GSoC-2019-nikhil'), we can now quite
efficiently convert a WOFF2 to an SFNT font, which can then be
rendered by FreeType.

Some points:

(1) If the WOFF2 is a TTC, only the requested face is loaded. So,
instead of a TTC, we generate a single-face sfnt with one offset
table, table record and so on...

(2) We're using the `totalSfntSize' (from the specs) as a reference
value to allocate memory, and then reallocate if required. This
reduces the number of memory reallocations and speeds up the process.

The issue with (1) is that if I call `FT_New_Face' for a woff2 file
with a negative index (which is supposed to provide information on the
specific face), the code in `sfobjs.c' will only see a single face,
which means `face->num_faces' will be set to 1. I'm not really sure
how to handle this. Any suggestions?

--
Nikhil