Re: [ft-devel] merged CFF and Type1 hinting code now in master

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] merged CFF and Type1 hinting code now in master
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 13:37:44 +0100

Until recently, medium.com served some Utopia CFF font (I think?!)
with blue zones but without hints (result: no hinting). gov.co.uk
also serves some font without hints (can't determine what kind right
now).  Google's Caladea and Carlito fonts ship(ped?) with a hinting
table stub but no hints, but that triggered the autohinter iirc.

A CFF that triggered the auto-hinter?

Caladea and Carlito come (came?) in .ttf form with, I think, stubbed out hinting tables but no actual hints on glyphs. The default NORMAL rendering mode then triggers the autohinter in NORMAL mode, i.e. x-and-y-hinting.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Google_Crosextra_Caladea_fonts

I consider a font broken if it has a blue zone table but no hints –
shall we really take care of that?  We don't do any harm; it's just
that the font stays unhinted.

Hm, well, yeah, it's okay I guess. Might be solved by teaching the Adobe hinter to cope with blue zones alone in the distant future.