Re: [ft-devel] Research BDF fonts

From: Vitold S
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Research BDF fonts
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 12:23:53 +0000

Hello,

    Yes. It very specific usecase but I write application with bitmap fonts and does not found any examples about,

    Moreover game developer (developers who using OpenGL with pixel render may use bitmap fonts as texture).

    Another usecase is embedded device developer also use bitmap fonts for devices with small memory or display resolution.

    Nowaday bitmap fonts still actual for most area in comuter scince but you right in desktop application TrueTupe is more preffred.

Thanks.

чт, 7 сент. 2017 г. в 13:29, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

>     [...] this example get from website examples with number one
> (basic example).

Indeed.  It should be documented better that `example1' is not suited
well to bitmap fonts.  In your case with `c64.bdf' there was the
additional problem that FreeType had a bug, assigning an unexpected,
heuristic ppem value instead of using the `SIZE' keyword – this is now
fixed in the git repository, so, thank you for bringing the issue to
my attention, even if it was unintentional :-)

>     My opinion in that example hard for understanding (using ange
> and matrix for rotation) and does not describe all use cases with
> fonts.  May be this source code should be renamed and insert really
> simple and worked example?

It's very hard to find concensus what a `really simple and working'
example means – have you actually read the tutorial?  I think that
`example1' only contains code discussed in the tutorial...

However, if you can provide a better first example, please do so.

Note that only an *extremely* small minority of people need bitmap
font support at all.