Re: [ft-devel] Research BDF fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Research BDF fonts
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 12:29:51 +0200 (CEST)

>     [...] this example get from website examples with number one
> (basic example).

Indeed.  It should be documented better that `example1' is not suited
well to bitmap fonts.  In your case with `c64.bdf' there was the
additional problem that FreeType had a bug, assigning an unexpected,
heuristic ppem value instead of using the `SIZE' keyword – this is now
fixed in the git repository, so, thank you for bringing the issue to
my attention, even if it was unintentional :-)

>     My opinion in that example hard for understanding (using ange
> and matrix for rotation) and does not describe all use cases with
> fonts.  May be this source code should be renamed and insert really
> simple and worked example?

It's very hard to find concensus what a `really simple and working'
example means – have you actually read the tutorial?  I think that
`example1' only contains code discussed in the tutorial...

However, if you can provide a better first example, please do so.

Note that only an *extremely* small minority of people need bitmap
font support at all.