Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 08:53:39 -0400

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> So let's stay with what we have, for the sake of a uniform
>>> interface to stem darkening.
>>
>> Or switch CFF to the new simplified one if they are close enough (my
>> recollection of the CFF curve is that they are.)
>
> Whatever, I don't mind.  However, the four parameter pairs must stay.

Freetype relies on gazillion of empirical constants in the code. Not a
single one of those was has ever been promoted to a configuration
file. All of the sudden these 4 pair have an incredible honor to be
configurable. Why? What is so special about them? I am willing to bet
that nobody has touched them or will ever touch them. Apparently,
nobody can even explain what they mean. Put them back in the code,
please! Frankly, I am puzzled.