Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 19:59:15 +0200 (CEST)

>>> It should be monotonic. It should have a minimum of around .4 or
>>> .5 pixels.  It should go to zero at around 2 pixels.
>>
>> darkening = stem < 2 ? 0.5 - stem / 4 : 0;  /* THIS IS IT! */
>>
>> Why does it have to be more complex than this and be so kinky?
>>
> Your simplified function may be good enough.  [...]

Well, we now have the four (x,y) parameters to control the curve, and
I would prefer to not introduce *another* curve just for the
auto-hinter.  I think we all agree that the CFF solution is adequate
to the problem, and IMHO the additional computational effort in
comparison to the above, simpler curve is neglegible.

So let's stay with what we have, for the sake of a uniform interface
to stem darkening.