[ft-devel] FW: Stack Overflow ?

From: Chuck Burfoot
Subject: [ft-devel] FW: Stack Overflow ?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 14:32:29 -0500

(This is resend as I did an earlier direct response)

Think I found it.

I tried 'relaxing' the release build optimizations all the way back to the
debug settings.
No difference

So I analyzed how the memory was allocated. I realized that EVERYTHING was
alloced from ft_alloc(memory, size) so I substituted ft_scalloc(size,1) for
ft_smalloc ...
Presto bingo - everything seems to be JUST FINE

It's the Microsoft (and sometimes Linux or Mac) uninitialized memory error.

MY SUGGESTION would be to ADD a check for Win32 and mod that function

#ifdef USING_WINDOWS // defined(_WIN32) || defined( _WIN64)
        return ft_scalloc(size,1);
#else
        return ft_smalloc(size);
#endif

Or just use ft_scalloc ...

THIS is one of the dirtiest issues in release builds with Visual Studio -
indeterminate state of allocated memory AND can be especially insidious when
it's a variable on the stack

FYI