Re: [ft-devel] controlling FreeType modules

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] controlling FreeType modules
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:30:29 +0200 (CEST)

> I know I'm fairly opinionated when it comes to library design, but
> thought share my thoughts anyway.  Personally I think FreeType's
> public API is largely over-engineered,

well...  This is definitely not my fault :-)

> and the proposed property service is a big step in that
> direction.

As soon as you are up to date with reading the FreeType email list
postings, you will have seen my other email.  Now there are only two
functions, FT_Property_Set and FT_Property_Get.

> As a user of the library, I don't care about "modules", "services",
> or generic properties infrastructures.

You don't have to.  Services is something internal to FreeType, not
visible by the application.  The module API already exists, and it is
central to FreeType, so I will continue with addressing properties
using module names.

> Just give me an enum for the parameters that make sense, and a
> setter/getter.

Hmm.  Instead of an enum like FT_AUTOFITTER_DO_THIS_AND_THAT you will
have to use two arguments, "autofitter" and "do-this-and-that", so I
don't see a big difference, neither in understanding nor typing.