[ft-devel] Architecture Astronaut: Liftoff in 5, 4, 3...!

From: Vinnie Falco
Subject: [ft-devel] Architecture Astronaut: Liftoff in 5, 4, 3...!
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:24:16 -0700

> From: Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden>
>
> I know I'm fairly opinionated when it comes to library design, but thought
> share my thoughts anyway.  Personally I think FreeType's public API is largely
> over-engineered, and the proposed property service is a big step in that
> direction.

I agree 100%. The drawing of fonts is something that's been around for
what, 40 years now (give or take)? The API should have been frozen a
long time ago, with only minor changes made to adapt to infrequent new
technologies (like LCD rendering).

That we are considering something as bulky as a generic "property
get/set" system means either that the original design was flawed, or
we are going into orbit as architecture astronauts.

Thanks

--
Follow me on Github: https://github.com/vinniefalco