Re: [ft-devel] About the Cmap format 14

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] About the Cmap format 14
Date: 10 Oct 2007 19:26:26 -0700

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 23:56, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I have no opinion here.  If you think this is the route to go, let's
> do this.  However, I could imagine to have
>
>   FT_Get_Chars_Of_Variant
>   FT_Get_Variants_Of_Char
>   FT_Get_Variant_Selectors
I like this much better (I was just trying to be consistent with the old
interface), but this is certainly easier to use.

> instead which return an array of all chars or variants, respectively.
> Whether this makes sense, I don't know.  Hmm.  Your suggested
> functions are probably better in the sense of memory consumption; my
> suggestions can cause big allocations...
I don't think it will be too bad. Currently only ~260 variant selectors
are reserved and less than 10 are actually defined.
The only questionable one is FT_Get_Chars_Of_Variant, but even here I
don't think there will be any huge arrays -- my understanding is that
even Adobe-Japan-1 has only 1222 characters with multiple variants.