Re: [ft-devel] About the Cmap format 12

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] About the Cmap format 12
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:33:28 +0900

Hi,

Before all, please provide detailed infos on the font,
the version and exact file size. Werner has ver 0.90,
I have (an access to) 5.00. Both of us could display
the glyphs.

In addition, yet you have not provided infos which
application we should use to reproduce the issue.
I guess you cannot provide whole of your project,
so please provide small code to reproduce your problem,
if you're sure that the bug comes from FT2.

DingLi(丁力) wrote (2007/10/08 10:25):
> I have not use the debug of the freetype. I use the tools "TrueType v1.0 Dump
> Program" which is download from Microsoft websit.
> And I see the cmap table in the dump result.
>
> For example, if I want get the character "壬", and the "壬"'s Unicode is 58EC.
> In the font the "壬"'s index is 4766:
>                     Char 0002123A -> Index 4764
>                     Char 0002123B -> Index 4765
>                     Char 0002123C -> Index 4766------------------this is the
> character "壬"
>                     Char 0002123D -> Index 4767
>                     Char 0002123E -> Index 4768

Excuse me, simsun-extb is a font without CJK ideograph
in BMP. The font provides CJK ideographs in SIP only.
You cannot use the font to display U+58EC.

> And I got the table information is:
> Subtable  3.   Platform ID:   3
>                Specific ID:   10
>                'cmap' Offset: 0x00000142
>             ->Format: 12 : Segmented coverage (32 bit)
>               Length:         40
>               Version:        0
>               Seg   1 : startCharCode = 00000020, endCharCode = 0000007F,
> startGlyphCode = 2
>               Seg   2 : startCharCode = 00020000, endCharCode = 0002A6D6,
> startGlyphCode = 98
>
> I have see the code which parse the format 12, I don't think it can deal with
> this cmap table.

Interesting. Apparently, FreeType2 is released as cmap12-capable.
Please write detail which part in src/sfnt/ttcmap.c looks wrong
for you. If you can provide a patch, FT2 developer can work for
the issue quickly.