Re: [ft-devel] OpenType and Truetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] OpenType and Truetype
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 19:15:02 +0200 (CEST)

> i have a question depending the embedding of opentype or truetype
> fronts into postscript/eps.  Can i use freetype for this.

Only partially, I think.  FreeType might be useful to map the input
character code (if such a thing is used in EMF) to a glyph name or
glyph index.

TrueType and OpenType fonts with TrueType outlines should be converted
to Type 42 fonts.  OpenType fonts with PS outlines should be converted
to CFF, which can be then wrapped as a PostScript font resource.

> I'm writing a converter for emf to eps conversion and want to use
> unicode characters.  I have read the redbook.  I know i have to
> create a font directory

Font directory?

> and have to provide the font i want to
> refer.  But in which format i have to write this subfont is a great
> mistery for me.  If someone knows reference or something please let
> me know.

In case of using PS level 2 operators, just embed the fonts and use
the `glyphshow' operator which allows direct access to the glyph name.