Re: [ft-devel] OpenType and Truetype

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] OpenType and Truetype
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 02:13:24 +0900

Hi,

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 17:38:40 +0200
Soeren Muehlbauer <address@hidden> wrote:
>i have a question depending the embedding of opentype or truetype
>fronts into postscript/eps. Can i use freetype for this.
>I really have no idea how font have to be embedded into ps/eps.

I don't think bare FreeType is not suitable for your purpose.
FreeType is a font renderer, doesn't provide features to convert
font formats nor to generate subsetted fonts. I think, using
cairo library to generate PS/PDF makes your task easy, because
cairo has font subsetting feature, and its API is similar to
low level PS command. However, its license LGPL 2.1 or MPL 1.1
is slightly more restricted than FreeType2.

>I'm writing a converter for emf to eps conversion and want to
>use unicode characters.

I'm unfamiliar indepth of EMF, but I suppose there are only
Unicode encoded string and the name of font to display the string
in EMF. By "unicode characters", you mean the characters which
requires complexed text layout system (e.g. Arabic & Indic)?
If so, FreeType2 does not provide such, you have to choose a text
layout library (there are Pango, Qt, ICU and m17n).
For the affinity with cairo, pango or m17n might be better.

>I have read the redbook. I know i have to create a font directory
>and have to provide the font i want to refer. But in which format
>i have to write this subfont is a great mistery for me. If someone
>knows reference or something please let me know.

I know no good guidance of PS/PDF font embedding technology,
however everybody have to check
    Adobe Technote 5012: The Type42 Font Format Specification
    http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/font/5012.Type42_Spec.pdf

Regards,
mpsuzuki