Re: [ft-devel] BDF and FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] BDF and FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:26:12 +0100 (CET)

> > How do you come to this conclusion?  The original BDF
> > specification (found in the X11 distribution) says that both
> > FONT_ASCENT and FONT_DESCENT are *logical* values.  They don't
> > guarantee that all bitmap glyphs are within this range.
>
> Still, then we should set y_scale to 8 / (face->ascender +
> face->descender) in, for example, Set_Pixel_Sizes in ttdriver.c,
> shouldn't we?

I'm not sure -- and too lazy to really think about it :-) Do you
encounter problems with bitmap sizes?

> I found docs/CHANGES mentions this change and it says
> FT_Set_Pixel_Size is used to select actual font dimensions (the
> `strike'), not the nominal size.  Maybe my question is what "actual
> font dimensions" mean?

Well, if the font contains an 8x16 bitmap, the parameters are `8' and
`16'.  This is to get a unified interface to all bitmap formats,
including Windows FNT.  Note that the ppem values in WinFNT files are
normally incorrect.

BTW, your latest changes to the SFNT driver broke FNT files with
multiple faces (this is, if they contain more than a single bitmap
font).  Reason is that the check for `face_index' in the SFNT driver
is done before validation of the font format -- the driver incorrectly
returns SFNT_Err_Bad_Argument instead of the correct
SFNT_Err_Unknown_File_Format.  I've fixed that now.