Re: [ft-devel] extra pixels in fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] extra pixels in fonts
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:49:16 +0200 (CEST)

address@hidden no longer exists.

> I am finding that tahoma.ttf renders at 8pt with some
> annoying extra pixels on my Gentoo 2005.1 and SuSE 9.2
> systems.  [...]

This has been recently discussed at great detail in the freetype-devel
list -- please look up the archive.

In short, we believe that this is a `bad feature' of the Windows
rendering engine in combination with `bad coding' in the tahoma font,
and that we can't emulate this behaviour.  It is very unfortunate that
such a popular font is affected.  BTW, it would be trivial to patch
tahoma.ttf to get the right behaviour for both Windows and FreeType --
you just have to change three bytes within the font...