Re: [ft-devel] Structure Viewer for TTF files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Structure Viewer for TTF files
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:30:57 +0200 (CEST)

> I wonder what you use to examine the insides of .TTF files?

There are many tools freely available:

  ttx (from fonttools.sf.net; produces an XML-like table dump)
  FontForge (lets you edit the font; has a TT hinting debugger)
  VOLT (from Microsoft; only for Windows)

> I'm working on a template that allows the 010Editor (A binary editor
> with structure support) to "decompile" and edit TrueType (OpenType?)
> font files, I'm making some progress, and I wonder if it would be of
> interest?

Instead of reinventing the wheel I suggest you use ttx, fixing the
remaining bugs. :-)

> I should mention that I am absolutely clueless on issues of fonts
> and am doing this only in the hopes of finding an easy way to
> translate TTF fonts into type 15 PCL 5 fonts for download to HP
> Laser Printers.  My understanding is that type 15 fonts are based on
> TTF and I hope that at some point, I can simply take "chunks" of the
> TTF file and copy it into the print stream.  Anyone know PCL font
> formats other than the standard bitmapped ones?

Uh, oh, you might contact the GhostScript people who have some PCL
stuff.