[ft-devel] Structure Viewer for TTF files

From: James Newtons Massmind
Subject: [ft-devel] Structure Viewer for TTF files
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:33:14 -0800

I wonder what you use to examine the insides of .TTF files?

I'm working on a template that allows the 010Editor (A binary editor with
structure support) to "decompile" and edit TrueType (OpenType?) font files,
I'm making some progress, and I wonder if it would be of interest?

If so, take a look at
 http://www.sweetscape.com/010editor for the editor and at my page:
 http://www.massmind.org/techref/datafile/ttfs.htm for the current state of
the template.

When the template is more useful I will submit it to sweetscape so they can
include it with the editor, but for now, it doesn't open all the tags and
only provides very basic access to the tags it can open.

I should mention that I am absolutely clueless on issues of fonts and am
doing this only in the hopes of finding an easy way to translate TTF fonts
into type 15 PCL 5 fonts for download to HP Laser Printers. My understanding
is that type 15 fonts are based on TTF and I hope that at some point, I can
simply take "chunks" of the TTF file and copy it into the print stream.
Anyone know PCL font formats other than the standard bitmapped ones?

---
James Newton, massmind.org Knowledge Archiver
address@hidden 1-619-652-0593 fax:1-208-279-8767
All the engineering secrets worth knowing:
http://techref.massmind.org What do YOU know?