RE: [Devel] STOP THE SPAMMING!

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [Devel] STOP THE SPAMMING!
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:37:18 +0100

Hello,

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden la
> part de Steven Johnson
> Envoyé : mercredi 17 novembre 2004 19:03
> À : address@hidden; address@hidden
> Objet : [Devel] STOP THE SPAMMING!
>

> Dammit, who's in control of this list?

It's me and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The problem comes down to the
fact that I'm not the admin on the machine that hosts the FreeType server,
and we cannot easily perform upgrades to the mailing-list system;

The real sysadmin is currently too busy to really take the time to perform

That's why we've decided to move the FreeType services to a User-Mode-Linux
image.
That will allow us to get root access on the virtual server, and our host
sysadmin
won't have to care much about what we do, except maybe control bandwidth.

The image is getting shape, it's based on Woody for obvious security reasons,
but the setup is still delicate. Also, I was without an Internet connection
until
the end of last week, which explains why this has been put to rest.

And believe me, I receive _far_ more spam than the mailing lists, and I want
this thing running as soon as possible. We're probably going to migrate only
the mail/ml services at first, then gradually move the other ones after that.

By the way, I'd welcome any help from someone who would like to be part-time
sysadmin for the project.

Regards,

- David Turner