RE: [Devel] What modules to use?

From: Ken Hancock
Subject: RE: [Devel] What modules to use?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:56:42 -0500

> Beyond this, what do I need to add in order to support:
> - Hinting (AutoHinting, I guess, since I don't have one of
> those Apple licence thingies)
> - OpenType (*.otf) fonts
> - The caching subsystem, if it actually works (has anyone used it?)

If you're porting to a CE device, likely you'll find that some sort of cache
system is a requirement.  I've been using the caching subsystem and it seems
to work well, for the most part.  FreeType does just fine if it has
sufficient memory but starts to fall over when it is only allowed a smaller
chunk of memory.  Since fragmentation was a serious concern on a limited RAM
budget, I chose to override the FT_Alloc() and FT_Free() calls to place them
in their own heap. In addition, within Alloc() and Free(), I put hooks in to
free memory from the cache when the memory allocation would otherwise fail.
This seems to work fairly well.

Ken