Re: [Devel] Re: italic font rendering clipped

From: Osho GG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: italic font rendering clipped
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:00:49 -0700

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 08:11:31 +0200 (CEST), Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
wrote:
> > I never got any responses to my original query - must be due to the
> > mailman problem.
>
> Indeed -- I have myself been `nomail'ed for a week or so.
>
> > I was reading back archives for a solution to something similar and
> > I noticed somewhere that this could be due to certain transform
> > matrix.  If a certain value in the transform matrix is 1 then it
> > could result in such clippings but if it is say 1.00001 then it
> > would not - or something like that. Anybody remembers such a
> > discussion?
>
> I don't think that the transformation matrix is the problem.  Have you
> checked whether you can see clipped glyphs while using the `ftstring'
> demo program?  The most common reason of your problem is that the data
> is drawn glyph by glyph (this is, draw a glyph, advance the pointer,
> then draw the next glyph, etc.) into a buffer directly, without
> `OR'ing the values.  Currently I'm offline while writing this so I
> can't check your previous mails in the archive whether you've
> mentioned this situation already.

Thanks Werner for your response. I did run ftstring and ftview from
the demos program. ftstring and ftview from demos work fine. Actually,
they show the problem d and m character properly in the bitstream vera
sans mono italic font (which is the font that I am having problem
with).

However, in any kde or gnome application (gtk or qt I think) - I see
that these characters are clipped. I saw this in kvim (KDE Qt port of
vim). But, it consistently happens in other Gtk editors (like gedit).
any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks,

Osho