Re: [Devel] correct version of docs/CHANGES for 2.1.3rc2

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] correct version of docs/CHANGES for 2.1.3rc2
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:23:49 +0400

On Thursday 19 September 2002 8:24 am, Dennis Björklund wrote:
|  On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, David Turner wrote:
|  >      - The automatic and postscript hinters have both been updated.
|  > This results in a relatively important increase of rendering quality
|  > since many nasty defaults have been supressed.  Please visit the web
|  > page:
|  >
|  >          http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/smooth-hinting.html
|
|  The images on that page are missing.

And link "Annex A: What are hinters ?", which points to
"http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/annex-A";, doesn't exist on server.

As a side note: page doesn't prints well with MS IE/Windows.
I refer here to section:
<ul>
  <li><p>
       has lowered a bit</b><br>

       except if you're using the native TrueType hinter. This isn't surprising
       since the <em>default</em> output is now optimized for traditional
       anti-aliased displays exclusively.
  <li><p>
    <b>so did the quality of LCD sub-pixel rendering (as implemented by
       XFree86)</b><br>

    for similar reasons, since libXft and libXft2 work by expanding the hinted
    outlines before rendering them to anti-aliased bitmaps and filtering them.
    The fact that the hinted outlines are fuzzier implies that the
    LCD-optimized text produced have <em>more color-fringes</em>, unfortunately.

rendering
     from their desktop, since the new "smooth" text is very legible on this
     kind of screens as well.
</ul>
Text on right side is cutted when it's printed from MS IE6.
Easy fix for this is to add to the end of
CSS stylesheet (http://www.freetype.org/freetype.css)
li p { margin-right: 5em }
Or define width 90% to for <li> element.
NOTE: Konqueror and Mozilla do not have such problem, so I guess it's MS IE6
bug.

* * *
Article itself is excellent. I enjoyed reading it! :-))

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)