Re: [Devel] FT_Set_Hint_Flags() , etc.

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] FT_Set_Hint_Flags() , etc.
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:44:27 +0400

On Thursday 12 September 2002 5:39 am, David Turner wrote:
[...]
|  Finally, note that the current default target mode produces anti-aliased
|  glyphs that are, in my opinion, a good compromise between correct pixel
|  grid alignement and (blurry) shape correctness (of course, there are still
|  a few bugs to fix). I have converted all my Linux desktops to it and I'm
|  extremely happy with it, since:
|
|     - text is relatively clear and its "color" is much, much more
| consistent. Nothing makes me madder than seeing weird diagonals that seem
| to "stand out" in the flow of text.
|
|     - there is a little fuzziness, but I got used to it extremely quickly,
|       and after several comparisons, I find it a lot less "gray" and more
|       pleasant than something like MacOS X output (warning: personal taste
|       involved here ;-)

I guess "fuzziness" can be filtered using FFT transform and corresponding
matrix?

|     - I can have a professionally-looking desktop displaying text with only
|       the free fonts that come with my dsitribution. "Luxi Sans" is great
| by the way, though I wished it had a few more hints for "g", "d" and "e"
| ;-)

* Luxi Sans TrueType, or LuxiSans PS Type1?

* why do you prefer Luxi fonts over URW fonts?
I mean, Nimbus Sans, Roman, etc. packaged as:
address@hidden Autotrace]$ rpm -q urw-fonts
urw-fonts-2.0-5mdk
(part of my Linux-Mandrake 8.2)

|     - And all of this without infringing a single patent from Apple,
|       ALLELUIA, we're going to be able to forget about this real crap !!
| :-)

Sounds cool! ;-)

--

Vadim Plessky