Re: [Devel] Freetype 2.1.2 & rotated text

From: Sander van der Wal
Subject: Re: [Devel] Freetype 2.1.2 & rotated text
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:19:52 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 9:26 AM

> > Its a problem... The latest fix of FT_Vector_Transform() swapped
> > xy and yx of the input matrix. Now the rotation has changed direction,
> > and the shearing has changed the axis. We'll have to check all calls
> > to FT_Vector|Outline|Glyph_Transform()...?
[knip]

> I fear we have to add a big exclamation mark that the transformation
> functions were incorrect in previous versions.  Still using the
> incorrect functions is perhaps not a good idea...
>
> Alternatively, we could introduce new functions for `correct'
> multipication.  While this may be backwards compatible, it is really
> extremely bizarre IMHO.
>
> Opinions, please.

I distribute freetype-2 as part of two different packages. The target OS
(EPOC) resolves functions in dll's by ordinal.
If a user upgrades one but not the other, they will have a problem, which
means that I will have a lot of problems.

Therefore I am very much in favour of a new function.

In other words, I cannot afford to move to a Freetype 2 library that is not
backwards compatible.

Sander van der Wal