Re: [Devel] first draft of a patch to add kerning support to the PFR mo

From: Sven Neumann
Subject: Re: [Devel] first draft of a patch to add kerning support to the PFR module
Date: 21 Jun 2002 10:28:19 +0200

Hi,

David Turner <address@hidden> writes:

> I've commited your patch to the CVS and it seems to work well.

this seems to imply that there are indeed PFR0 fonts with kerning info.

>     By the way, if you're interested in printing debugging output
>     during development, you should do the following:
>
>      - define the FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_TRACE in "ftoption.h" and recompile
>        the library
>
>      - when executing a program, define the FT2_DEBUG environment variable,
>        it value must have the following format:
>
>              <component1>=<n1> <component2>=<n2> ....
>
>        where <componentX> is the name of one of the FreeType components
>        (their list is in <freetype/internal/fttrace.h>) or the value
>        "any" to indicate all of them.. <nX> is the trace level, from 0 to 6.
>
>        for example:
>
>             export FT2_DEBUG="any=2 pfr=4"
>
>        means: all components use tracing level 2, except the PFR one that
>        uses tracing level 4.
>
>        Note that this doesn't work in the 2.0.x branch, if I remember
>        correctly. Hope this information will be useful to other people
>        as well

Thanks a lot for these explanations. I wasn't able to find this
information in the documentation that comes with the sources. I think
it should be added there.

> All things considered, it's a very good patch and you followed the coding
> conventions very closely. Congratulations and thanks a lot for
> submitting your patch :-)

if I'd have a PFR font with enough kerning information I could try to
make it work for fonts that have multiple type 4 extra item. At the
moment subsequent extra items with kerning info are ignored (see
pfrload.c line 517).

Salut, Sven