[Devel] Re: [OpenType] BDF-Erweiterung

From: Mark Leisher
Subject: [Devel] Re: [OpenType] BDF-Erweiterung
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:35:51 -0600 (MDT)

    >> You stated "Years ago, Microsoft extended the BDF format slightly to
    >> support graymaps with with bpp > 1 (as used in TTFs).

    Werner> This is the impression I got while discussing this topic with
    Werner> various people.

    >> I have not been able to find any such documentation to indicate this is
    >> the case. Our SBIT32 software has documentation that states "The
    >> specification is available at
    >> ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/DeveloperSupport/Technotes/PSfiles/5005.BDF.ps".

    Werner> The current version of 5005.BDF (2.2, dated 1993) doesn't include
    Werner> support for graymap fonts.

    >> I have also looked through code related to BDF manipulation and do not
    >> see anything that would indicate supporting the graymap you are
    >> referring to.

    Werner> Interesting.  I've never used those tools -- Mark, can you please
    Werner> give more information?

Hmm.  I need to go back through the opentype archives (from June-December of
1998) to see if that's where I got the original info.  Most of the SBIT
correspondence I still have is from December 1998, but none of it references
the SIZE extension.

It might have come from David Meltzer at Microsoft (who helped me with some
other SBIT questions), but I'm not sure about that.

I do recall locating something about the SIZE extension somewhere on the web
at the time I added support to xmbdfed, but searching the past couple days
hasn't turned up anything.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab                    Television has raised writing
New Mexico State University               to a new low.
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL                       -- Samuel Goldwyn
Las Cruces, NM  88003