[Devel] Re: bug in BBox_Conic_Check?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel] Re: bug in BBox_Conic_Check?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:45:56 +0100 (CET)

> > PS: As already pointed out on the devel@ list, BBox_Cubic_Check() can
> >     fail due to stack overflow.  After some discussion with Richard
> >     Kinch, *the* expert on Bézier curves, I strongly believe that we
> >     have to solve the first derivate (i.e., a quadratic equation)
> >     directly to get the extrema, since bisection can fail miserably
> >     resp. converge very slowly under certain circumstances.
>
> I agree. At the time were this function was written, there was no
> fixed square root function in FT2. Maybe this can be solved now that
> we have FT_SqrtFixed ?? As you probably guess, I don't have much
> time on it..

Richard has kindly sent me proper code -- unfortunately, he directly
uses `double', sqrt(), etc.  Converting this stuff into our fixed math
world will take some time...  Don't expect results too quickly.

BTW, what about removing the `OLD_CALC' stuff from ftcalc.[ch]?

Finally, may I ask that you take care of the CFF problem in the
autohinter as reported by Tom?