Re: [FT2 bug contest :-)] = SERVER SWITCH

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [FT2 bug contest :-)] = SERVER SWITCH
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 13:39:26 +0100

Hi Karsten,

> Hi David,
>
> > I'm currently switching servers, which may explain the
> > problem you're describing.
> > In all cases, I think it should be fixed by tomorrow afternoon.
>
> Still not fixed, I'll try again in a few hours.

Well, I'm currently working on it, it should be a matter of
minutes :-)

> BTW, you could check the ViewCVS Interface on sourceforge.net. It doesn't
> work from there, only from freetype.org.

The sourceforge web pages are just a dumb copy of the main server. The
ViewCVS script must be able to access CVS repositories directly, and
hence cannot work on source forge (given that our main cvs is on
cvs.freetype.org).

We're switching ftp/web/email servers. However, the current machine
will still hold the cvs repository, and will implement the ViewCVS
itself. The problem should be fixed tonight when everything runs well
and the web updates will have been commited..

> > By the way, I finally found the bug (basically, calling a
> > method of class A
> > with a pointer on an instance of class B, due to incorrect table index
> > initialisation, which then caused a member pointer
> > de-reference wrote to
> > random areas of memory !! I'm still surprised that Insure
> > couldn't find
> > it though.. ??)
>
> Wow, that's what i call a BUG.

Yes, what's worth is that this is the sort of bug that couldn't
have been prevented by using C++, given that the code is using
explicit downcasts based on some assumptions (that were wrong
at that time).

> > However, I'm not against a run of Purify on the current
> > sources to check that
> > everything is going well :-)
>
> OK, but I'm delaying this because I rewrote my whole library to use the
> cache and do some more intelligent clipping and lots of other things. I have
> to integrate my changes into our project first, then I'll be Purifying the
> whole thing.
> However, I don't think I will go through all of the FreeType code, as I'm
> not using all of its features.

No problem, it'd be hard to write a program that uses all of FreeType's
features anyway :o)

Cheers,

- David