freesci-develop

RE: [freesci-develop] opinions on requiring C99 support?

From: Hugues Valois
Subject: RE: [freesci-develop] opinions on requiring C99 support?
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:45:27 -0700

> > Isn't FreeSCI also being built on Windows/VS?  Visual Studio's c99
> > support is nonexistent...
>
> VS2005 and above has great C99 and ISO C++ support, in my experience.
> Anything that can compile boost and pass all boost's unit tests out of the
> box has to be doing something right ;>
>
> Maybe you're thinking of the dark ages of VC++ 6.0? :)

I just tried VS 2005 and VS 2008 and they do not understand the keyword
'inline', which is part of C99.  This is when compiling as C (which is how the
FreeSCI VS project is set compile).  Setting it to compile as C++ would take
care of that one.  I'm not sure what other features of C99 were desired, and if
most of them are features available in C++.  Some of the FreeSCI code doesn't
compile as C++, but this should be relatively easy to fix (if not already
fixed, I'm using the month old 0.6.3rc4 source code).

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star
power.